As Nemo draws near with its potential for being a historic blizzard, I can't help but think of all the crazy travel disruption that will follow. I'm sure everyone has a weather related story to tell....so let's hear it.
Have you had a Planes, Trains and Automobile travel nightmare experience?
Silly me, at first I thought you were talking about the movie!
I just had a plane nightmare experience last week. My husband and I were going from Fort Myers to Reno for skiing in Squaw Valley. We were going to go Ft Myers-Atlanta-Salt Lake-Reno. Boarded the plane and pushing back, and they announced that they had to return to gate to let the mechanic look at something. They did and soon it was announced that the flight would be delayed 6 hours as coming in, the plane had hit a pelican and damaged something in the nose. They had to get a part flown in from Atlanta. Well, our flight had already been oversold and by that time, people had volunteered for later flights and all the flights that would get us to connections in Atlanta were completely booked. I immediately called the Delta Diamond Line and was trying to get us rebooked even though I was also standing in line. I got us rebooked but we would have to go to Minneapolis then Salt Lake and then Reno. At that time, we would arrive 5 hours later than originally planned. Also although we had been booked 1st class the entire trip, I would have to sit in coach Minneapolis-Salt Lake. Wanting to get there, I agreed. Then we find out that an earlier RSW-MSP plane has been delayed due to mechanical and now people are trying to get on our flight. It didn't really affect us except it made for a full plane and made the plane slightly delayed.
So here we go into Minneapolis and it is snowing like a son of a gun. We finally land and get unloaded and we run to our gate. We finally board and sit, and sit, and sit, and sit. They said that we were being delayed from departing from the gate due to the backup in the deicing area. Then we had to be deiced. I was nervous as we only had a 35 min layover in Salt Lake but what could I do at that point. We take off finally- 75 min late. Midair when we could connect to internet and found out that the equipment we were on was going to be the equipment to Reno so no matter how late, we would still make our flight. Whew! Was our problems over, NO of course not. Landed in Salt Lake and I thought MSP was bad with snow, Salt Lake was so bad that it took 50 min to get from the runway to the gate due to traffic and the fact that the runways and areas need to be replowed several times. Okay, does it end there? No, we board for Reno and think is the end in sight? Then the pilots announce they have reached their max flight time and new pilots are being brought in. Long story short, we were suppose to leave at 11:10 am and arrive Reno at 5:35 pm. Due to Mechanical, Weather, and Pilot problems, we ended up arriving Reno at 4:30 am!!! Then had the hours drive to Squaw Valley. Luckily our reserved transportation and hotel (who I had been updating the whole time) were waiting on us and everything remaining went promptly. I can't really fault Delta as I know they would have not rather had all the problems but I think in the future, I will try to take earlier flights than mid day as if there is disruption, rebooking is easier. Also, I ended up getting 20,000 extra miles credited and $250 voucher for the economy seat instead of the first class and we got $50 in meals and airport vouchers for the delays.
In short, I appreciate what Delta did for us but the whole thing did put our vacation in a bad start as we could not ski that first day as we were so exhausted. The second day, Squaw Valley closed down most of the mountain as high wind gusts hindered the tram and other lifts. So for a 5 day ski vacation, we ended up skiing 3. That was a long way to go for 3 days. In the future, we will stick with Colorado which is a 2 flight destination for us instead of 3 flights.
WOW B.....I am tired just reading your ordeal! You sounded like you had a good attitude. I think I would have given up!
Well we are all watching Storm Nemo. Looks like Boston is going to get hit big time. Talked to our family and friends and they are preparing (lots of drink and food!) Here in PA, we are just expecting a small amount. We are heading to Delaware. I think that area will be fine.
Just supposed to get 2-6 inches in Philadelphia so not worried -but if that snow line changes.........................................
So far, no snow clouds this morning:
That sure isn't Wisconsin.......we got blanketed last night. :D
Originally Posted by omegaet
denise, still waiting to hear where you plan to move when you leave Philly. Probably to a location not know for cold and snow.
Well, you might get blanketed by Nemo, but we too are experiencing tons of snow. When we got here to Garmisch ski country, the meadows were green and the birds were building nests. Since then it hasn't stopped snowing. We are living a complete white-out and more is forecast.
We got new cross-country skis, but haven't been able to use them yet, since all the tracks are covered over.. We are thinking of getting snow shoes. Hope the sun will come out soon!
Looks like following Nemo, we'll have another winter storm named Orko blasting eastward.
Maybe I'll just load up my vehicle and drive on down to Key Largo for a week or two.
A warm destination sounds good - still have around 10 years of working life left so no moving to a warm climate any time soon. The hubby actually wants to move to upstate PA - I keep telling him he is crazy - even colder and snowier than Philadelphia - yuck...........