I've just recently stayed atRancho Mananas in Cave Creek, Arizona (just a few miles north of Scottsdale), and the resort is quite wonderful. There are about 30 two bedroom/two bath units. Each unit is approx. 1200 square feet and very, very nicely appointed. BOTH bedrooms have a king size bed and huge bathroom with shower and seperate tub, two sinks etc. The kitchen is nicely stocked with all the needed untensils and the appliances are Viking. The dining/living room area is spacious and there's even a washer/dryer in each unit.

The grounds are lovely... the pool area is small, but very pretty and they have poolside service (a must for those hot days when a Tontorita (house margarita) is a must by the pool! The restaurant, Tonto, is really good and reasonably priced (dinner for 4 including two bottles of really great French wine, was only $250.00 inc. tip). They have a first class golf course (I don't golf, but my golf crazy friend does and he said it was a terrific course). But the really cool thing is the spa. They have WONDERFUL spa with all the appropriate treatments. The locker rooms (at least the woman's) was beautifully appointed and supplied with anything you could possibly want/need. And the good news is you can use the spa for free if you are staying there (you have to pay for treatments, but the steam rooms, showers, loungers, bath robes, lotions and potions etc, are all complimentary if you are a guest at Las Mananas). The prices are reasonable for the treatments.

The trick is to book atRancho Mananas for the first week in May when it is still cool enough. The high season (winter) at Las Mananas is $425.00 per night, but starting May 1st, it drops down to $195.00 per night plus the golfing is 30% off. We stayed (with another couple) the first weekend in June and the weather was definitely warm (95-105 degrees), but my old Northwest bones loved it. In May, it is still tolerable... 80's to 90's....

And with two couples staying in the casita, it cost us less than $100.00 per night per couple... leaving us plenty of cash to spend on meals, and the spa!!! So, I would recommend this resort for one of the discount luxury trips.

Check out their website for more info: www.rancho-manana.com

Cathy